F@#kin’ First Time.
We first heard about FFT’s listening to a Brene Brown podcast. The world and culture is experiencing lots of FFTs: the COVID-19 stuff, social distancing, masks, etc.
With an FFT, as we go through we have to:
- Name it
- Put it in perspective
- Reality check expectations
It seems that almost every thing we’re doing on this trip is an FFT.
- navigate through the night with radar
- navigate through fog with radar
- navigate through fog at night with radar
- anchor in an unknown anchorage at night using radar and GPS/chartplotter
- see a blue whale
- see lots of humpback whales
- motor into a pod of humpbacks at night in the fog and hear them blowing all around us but can’t see them.
- enter strange harbors and marinas, almost always navigating in through fog
- walk 5 miles round trip to get groceries, carrying them back to the boat
There are going to be plenty more.